Postmortem: Vis À Vis

Project Insights

This is a blog post supplementing the project Vis À Vis showcased as part of my portfolio. If you wanted to instead look at the project itself, you can find that here.

Background

Extra Credits is a fairly well-known YouTube channel and I had been wanting to develop a game with a particular group of my friends I hadn’t worked with before, so when we heard they were hosting a game jam, we were all for participating in it together. I had been wanting to work with Unreal Engine 4 for a while since I felt like I had gotten enough experience with Unity and C# to try something new. I also wanted to get more C++ experience since I hadn’t worked with it in a long time, even though it was the first programming language I ever learnt.

Design Choices

With the theme “Connect” being very open-ended, we had quite a few ideas in mind. But we wanted to go for a horror theme since we hadn’t delved into that genre before and horror games seemed to do very well on itch.io. So we eventually decided on a parallel worlds theme with both of the worlds being “connected” through mirrors. I quite liked the idea and developing it was a lot of fun.

Working with Unreal Engine for the first time took a decent amount of effort. Since I was the only programmer on the team, I had to learn the API and discover new libraries as I went. I learnt quite a lot about Unreal Engine, even though working with C++ after a long time was difficult.

I ended up implementing some functionality that didn’t get used, such as a whole inventory system. This was mostly due to us changing up the design of the game during the middle of the jam since we had to rethink our scope. But regardless, it was a good learning experience.

What I learnt

I already talked about how I learnt to work with Unreal Engine but the most unexpected thing was how powerful Blueprints can be. I inititally started out with wanting to implement most of the game in C++ but soon realised that implementing the base in C++ and expanding on it with Blueprints was how most of the functionalities were implemented in Unreal Engine.

It was also the first big 3D project I had undertaken and I quite liked how it turned out. Working on a 3D game was also more satisfying to me than working in 2D was. In a way, it felt like I had progressed one step closer to developing big AAA games or big indie games.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *